Understanding Humidity

BIOS Weather™ products are state-of-the-art and are continually improving to offer users better and more useful weather information. Many features and design enhancements are exclusive to BIOS.

Humidity

Indoor humidity is important to consider for both human health and the health of our homes. Too much humidity causes allergic reactions, triggers asthma and creates long term damage to structure and drywall to our homes. A dry house causes respiratory problems as well as cracks in floors and furniture.

The humidex is a valuable measure of the effect of humidity on how hot it feels. Since our body’s primary cooling mechanism is through perspiration and the cooling effect of evaporation from our skin; as the humidity increases, there is less evaporation and we feel hotter.

Too dry:
  • Chapped skin & lips
  • Sore throat
  • Respiratory problems
  • Wood floors & doors shrink and crack
  • Furniture splits
  • Cracks in drywall & plaster
  • Static electricity & sparks
  • Problems with electronic equipment
Too wet:
  • Allergic reactions
  • Problems with Asthma
  • Rhinitis
  • Condensation on windows
  • Moisture stains on walls & ceilings
  • Musty smells and odors
  • Long term damage to drywall & household contents